A few years ago, the response to the question ‘Do you take CBD?’ would probably produce a blank look. But now, everyone seems to have either tried CBD or knows someone who has. CBD oil is, for many, the first choice, but CBD capsules are gaining in popularity. They are easy to take and tasteless. With that in mind, what are the best CBD capsules in 2022?
Table of Contents
Why are capsules so popular?
CBD capsules have taken a strong second place to CBD oil on the health food and pharmacy shelves. CBD oil has some major selling points. Firstly, it is (or should be) a pure way to take CBD. It is CBD suspended in the hemp oil from which it is extracted. Some brands may combine the CBD with another oil, like flax, for a different taste. And a tincture holds the CBD in a mild alcohol solution, which is often flavoured. Secondly, it is widely available. If high street stores are stocking CBD, it is likely to be in the form of CBD oil.
Capsules, however, are a great alternative and there should now be plenty of choice. There are good reasons why capsules are becoming so popular:
- Simple to take, just like a vitamin supplement
- No mess or risk of spillage
- A precise dose
- No taste
Everyone is familiar with capsules or tablets. Most households have a few tubs of vitamin C tablets or Omega oil capsules. They are simple to wash down, are easy to take and don’t create any mess. Compare this to CBD oil. The oil can taste very bitter and the consistency can be a turn-off for many people. The ideal way to take CBD oil is to place drops under the tongue and hold it there until it is absorbed. Any remaining liquid is swallowed. However, it is a very acquired taste. There must be many bottles of CBD oil abandoned for flavour reasons.
It’s also advisable to take drops of CBD oil throughout the day. Topping up at work, or when others are present, might be questioned or viewed with suspicion. In addition, even though the dropper can only hold a certain amount, it might not be an accurate dosage. Plus, the prospect of a smashed bottle oozing dark, earthy-smelling oil into your bag doesn’t bear thinking about. For ease of use and convenience, CBD capsules are hard to beat.
It’s important to note that the CBD capsules and other products available in shops are not classed as a medicine. There has not been enough research or testing to validate the anecdotal evidence supporting CBD’s myriad health benefits. Therefore, capsules and other
CBD products can only be classed as health supplements. This will remain the case for some time to come.
Things to consider choosing the best CBD capsules in 2022
Strength and dosage
Like CBD oil and other CBD supplements, CBD capsules come in different strengths. A tub of capsules is likely to list the strength of each capsule, for instance, 10 mg or 25 mg per capsule. If the labelling only states a very high milligram content, like 2500 mg, that probably refers to the entire contents. Therefore, if a jar with a content of 1500 mg has 30 capsules, each capsule contains 50 mg of CBD.
When labelling is confusing, go for a brand that clearly displays the CBD content of each capsule. Capsules are a great option because it should be clear how much CBD is contained in each capsule. That way, you can be certain how much you are taking each day. If, at first, you don’t feel any results from the capsule, increase the intake to perhaps two to three per day, but never exceed the maximum stated dose.
Some people naturally require a larger dose of CBD to feel any benefit. These tend to be people who have larger bodies or a speedy metabolism. People taking CBD capsules for chronic pain may feel they need a higher dosage. For these people, it’s better to choose a higher strength capsule. If the effects wear off over time, increase the dosage or move up to a higher strength capsule.
Learn more about CBD dosage: CBD Oil Dosage Guide
Cost and quality
As the saying goes, “you get what you pay for”, and this certainly applies to CBD oil and capsules. The process of extracting good quality CBD and getting it certified by a laboratory is intensive, and therefore pretty costly. Therefore, it’s wise to question the quality of any CBD capsules that seem far cheaper than others.
Any capsules or CBD products on sale in high street stores or online should have been authorised for sale as a Novel Food under European Commission regulations. However, that doesn’t guarantee quality. When choosing CBD capsules or other products for the first time, go for a trusted, reputable brand. Also, expect to pay more for high-quality products. It could be a small price to pay in relation to improved health and wellbeing.
What’s in CBD capsules?
Good question, because there are several possibilities. This is why it pays to examine each option because brands offer different types of CBD and even different types of capsules. Look carefully and make sure to select the capsules best suited to your needs:
- CBD in powdered form contained in a capsule
- CBD oil contained in a capsule (hemp oil also contains valuable nutrients)
- Broad spectrum CBD (CBD containing at least one other cannabinoid but not THC)
- Full spectrum CBD (CBD containing all the cannabinoids and flavonoids from the hemp plant but not THC)
- CBD isolate (purely the CBD and none of the other cannabinoids – will not utilise the ‘entourage effect’ and therefore may not be beneficial for pain management)
- CBD combined with another compound, e.g. turmeric, for additional health benefits
- No THC (CBD capsules should contain zero or below legal limits of THC)
Bioavailability and digestion
Bioavailability relates to the amount of substance that reaches the bloodstream and therefore the levels of its expected physical effect. A CBD product with high bioavailability will get to work quickly and the majority of the substance will be in action. The highest bioavailability comes from CBD oil, which is taken as drops under the tongue. It’s then absorbed sublingually through the mouth’s membranes, thereby bypassing the digestive system. Vaping also takes CBD directly to the bloodstream through the lungs.
Capsules and other supplements have to be swallowed and metabolised. The process takes time, so it will be at least an hour before the effects of a CBD capsule are felt. However, the type of capsule shell can also be a factor. Hard shells take time to disintegrate and release their contents into the gut to be processed. Newer soft gel capsules can hold oil or liquid and are designed to dissolve and release the drug more quickly. A CBD soft gel capsule will release its goodness faster than one with a hard shell.
Taking CBD capsules alongside high fat foods like avocado or full fat yoghurt encourages the body to process CBD more efficiently.
Are CBD capsules suitable for vegetarians?
CBD is derived from the hemp plant, thereby 100% plant and suitable for vegetarians. However, the shell capsules are often made with gelatin, an animal product, and therefore not veggie or vegan-friendly at all. There are CBD capsules suitable for vegans, so choose carefully if you follow certain diets.
The best CBD capsules in 2022
Here is a selection of CBD capsules available in 2022 at CBD Village online store. They have been chosen to cover most options and requirements.
- Full spectrum
- Available in two strengths
- 500 mg jar has 50 capsules containing 10 mg CBD each
- 750 mg jar has 30 capsules containing 25 mg each
- Slow release gives an effect lasting 4-6 hours
- Not suitable for vegetarians
- 30 full spectrum capsules
- 50 mg CBD and CBDa (believed to be beneficial in preventing nausea, anxiety, inflammation and seizures)
- Vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free, no artificial colours or preservatives
- Contains Omega-3, vitamins D and E, flavonoids and terpenes
- 60 capsules containing 10 mg CBD – a lower dose
- Soft gel capsules containing CBD oil
- Good bioavailability
- Not suitable for vegetarians
- 30 capsules each containing 25 mg CBD isolate
- Turmeric and black pepper support healthy joints and boost heart and brain function
- 100% vegan
- Full spectrum
- 30 capsules each containing 10 mg CBD
- Contain coconut oil and hemp oil
- 100% vegan
- 10 gel tabs containing 50 mg CBD
- Designed to dissolve under the tongue
- Faster bioavailability
- No need to swallow
- Not suitable for vegetarians
Other CBD supplements in 2022
Capsules are super easy and convenient to take, but there are other simple ways to get your daily boost of CBD goodness. These supplements provide direct ways of taking a quick blast of CBD. Alternatively, they can be familiar edible products infused with CBD, like chocolate or cookies. Perhaps one of the most popular ways to take CBD is in gummy bears or soft chews. These delicious sweet treats can be eaten on the go, and no one is any the wiser you are taking CBD. If capsules are a problem, then beverages like CBD-infused herbal tea, coffee, hot chocolate and even soft drinks may suit.
Taking CBD in food form is a delicious approach to wellbeing. It could be the option for those averse to the taste and texture of CBD oil, or people who find it difficult to swallow capsules. There is a good range of CBD supplements, some of which may be surprising. Here are some of the best CBD supplements in 2022 available at CBD Village.
- 24 x 60 ml bottles of organic tropical fruit flavour drink with natural ingredients
- Each bottle contains 25 mg CBD
- Full-spectrum CBD
- Boosted with herbs, spices and botanical extracts
- Source of vitamin B
- 10 pieces of gum containing 10 mg CBD per piece
- 100% biodegradable
- High bioavailability
- Sugar-free with a minty flavour
- No artificial colours or preservatives
- 30 gummies with 30 mg CBD each
- CBD derived from US-grown hemp
- Great fruit flavours
- Vegan and gluten-free
- Bar contains 400 mg CBD
- Created by award-winning chocolatier
- Contains CBD, CBG and terpenes
- Low sugar, high content of ethically sourced cocoa
- Combination of hemp and chocolate can boost serotonin for a feelgood factor
- 227 g jars of honey varieties with 500 mg CBD
- 340 g jars of honey varieties with 1000 mg CBD
- Available in Sleep, Energy and Positivity blends
- Perfect for taking as a spoonful, or in tea or baking
- Zero THC
If you are looking for the best CBD capsules and supplements in 2022 there is a great range to choose from. Capsules offer ease of use and can be added to a daily vitamin routine. But if capsules aren’t for you, how about familiar favourites like chewing gum, coffee and gummy bears?
Start with a low dose and remember, one type of supplement may work better for your body or particular condition. A cup of CBD-infused hot chocolate before bed is perfect for people hoping for a good night’s sleep. Whereas CBD chewing gum can be slipped into the pocket and taken at work or during sport. There is a capsule or supplement that will be perfect for everyone, so start shopping.
You may also like to read: Best CBD Creams for Pain Relief in 2022